Tuesday, August 7, 2012

How do you say goodbye?

You don't. You tell everyone "I'll see you soon!" and trust in the Lord's faithful promise to one day allow you to be reunited with all of your brothers and sisters in Christ here in Costa Rica! My roommates, my friends, my church, and the men, women, and children I've worked with are my FAMILY, and I love them.

This is my last full week in Costa Rica, and even as I write these words it doesn't seem real to me. It doesn't seem like I am going to be leaving a week from tomorrow, and it's just easier for me not to think about it right now. I am taking each day at a time and soaking up every conversation, smile, laugh, smell, taste, and feeling.

Yesterday I was reading in the classic 1 Corinthians 13 chapter on love. I have heard this chapter so many times, but it held a different meaning for me yesterday. The second to last sentence really ministered to me.

"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love"
(1 Corinthians 13:13)

These are the three virtues that God has placed on my heart during this next period of transition from Costa Rica back to graduate school. It won't be easy, but each day I pray that the Lord fills me with His comfort, strength, and perfect peace, because within myself I am only full of brokenheartedness.

Faith: I have faith in the God whose faithfulness does not depend on my faith in Him. THANK GOODNESS. I have faith in the promises of the Lord. I have faith that the Lord will continue to direct my steps daily. I have faith that God knows the desires of my heart. I have faith that God is close to the brokenhearted and comforts those who mourn. I have faith that God will continue to give me a hunger to know Him more. I have faith that the more I seek God, the more I will find and love Him.

Hope: I have hope in one day returning to my beautiful family here in Costa Rica. I have hope that God will provide numerous opportunities to bring all that I have learned this summer back with me to my friends and family in the U.S. I have hope that my experiences would not just be stories, but that they would impact other lives for the kingdom. I have hope that God will continue to bless, prosper, and protect LightForce as they are faithful to listen to His voice and walk in His will. I have hope that the friendships I have made this summer will last a lifetime. I have hope that this summer was not just a one time trip, but that God has opened doors for future ministry.

Love: I can feel the love of the Lord in my life. I have prayed multiple times this summer that God would fill me with His love so that I can love those that we work with. I don't want to love out of myself, because I am only able to give temporary, selfish, worldly love. I want these men, women, and children to experience the everlasting, unconditional, selfless, and spiritual love of Christ. Most have never known this love. God's love is the greatest thing I could give these people. Not my time, money, or material things that they may need...."But the greatest of these is love" (1 Corinthians 13:13)

This past week the Lord has blessed me with so many opportunities of outreach and fellowship. I continue to be challenged by the Lord as we take to the streets to minister with the prostitutes and transvestites. A guy from YWAM came up to me last Saturday and he thanked me for working with them this summer and said that he could see how God has given me a heart and passion for these people. The only reply I could give him was that God has used these men and women to minister to my life more than I could ever minister to theirs. One thing I have learned this summer is that God ministers to my heart the most when I am ministering to others! I had fun times of fellowship with the Coronado gang at Bible study, get-togethers, and church. I laughed so hard with my roommates that I have been so blessed to get to know and have come to love this summer: Anna, Laura, Pati, Gabrielle, and Megan.

We also had the opportunity to work in the sport's ministry again this weekend with Jairo. There is one 15 year old girl that I met and was able to talk to for a while (I can't say her name). Her mom and dad are divorced. Her dad lives in Nicaragua with her two older sisters. Her oldest sister is 16 and pregnant with the child of a drug addict who is currently in jail. Her mom has five children at home now, and the youngest is 2 months. This girl couldn't go to school last week because the family needed to use the money for food. She has been on my heart over the past few days, and I talked with Jairo about her at church on Sunday. He said he could take us to her house this Saturday to talk with her and meet her family. Praise God! Please pray that relationships could be developed, because Anna and Laura think she is a prime case for sexual abuse or trafficking. Pray that the Lord will open doors to minister to her family and help her in any way that we can!


Please take a few minutes to listen to a quick update from Anna about LightForce! God is redirecting the steps of LightForce and it is exciting to watch them faithfully follow His calling for their ministry! Love you all, thank you for your constant prayers and thoughts!! :):)

I'll miss this view


I will walk by FAITH no by sight



I'm gonna miss my roomie

LightForce team

faces you'll always remember






moments you'll never forget

team meeting

our new friend downtown....he wanted to be in our picture :)

Anna's friend Jose, a street artist
band practice

I will be your hands and feet Jesus

Photos by Paul Go Images

No comments:

Post a Comment