Wednesday, April 25, 2012

We were made for something more than this!

Yesterday in Bible Study we were talking about our dreams and aspirations for the future. These discussions come up constantly as a senior in college, with graduation just 9 days away! The million dollar question of the day is: "What are you going to do after college?" I am graduating May 5, 2012, from James Madison University with my Bachelor's of Science in Health Sciences and a minor in Medical Spanish. I am also simultaneously finishing my first year of Occupational Therapy Graduate School. Next year I will be completing my second and final year of my master's program. In general though, my more distant future has always been an unknown area of my life. I surrendered it to the Lord when I became a Christian, although I have to re-surrender my future to Him daily. Wanting to be the one in control of my life is a sin issue that I wrestle with all the time. Although the irony is that my life is the most secure and safe when it is in the hands of Jesus. It is the most chaotic when it is in my incapable hands. Why would I not want the Lord of all creation holding me in His secure and loving hands? - I am sinful, selfish, and prideful.

 My dream and desire ever since I was a young girl was to live in another country. As I grew older, the reality of that dream seemed farther away, but the passion remained. I prayed constantly to be able to go and serve the Lord where my heart longed to be used, while also guarding against my personal desires overpowering the will of the Lord. The Lord delights to give us the desires of our heart, and He opened the door for me to live and allow Him to serve through me in another country this summer! I will be serving alongside LightForce International in San Jose, Costa Rica for 9 weeks this summer. I will be combating human sex trafficking and the damage this crime is doing to young women and childrens' hearts all over the world. I prayed that the Lord would break my heart for what breaks His, and this BREAKS HIS HEART. I want my life to be a vessel that the Lord uses to pour grace, mercy, healing, and love into the women and children in Costa Rica.
Last summer Christine and I were at a cultural festival in D.C. - no idea when we took this picture that I would be going to Costa Rica and she would be in Uganda this summer, both interning with anti-human sex trafficking organizations - the Lord is willing and the Lord is able!
 Christine and my heart will forever be tied - the Lord was so loving to provide a friend as genuine and loving as this girl - she is my support system, accountability partner, and forever friend!

I will be posting about the work the Lord does this summer to "speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves."  Love, -B

No comments:

Post a Comment