Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Bittersweet: JMU Graduation

This past Saturday, May 5, 2012, I graduated from James Madison University. It was such a special day filled with so many loved ones, laughs, tears, hugs, and stories retold. It was amazing to have so many extended family members come to my graduation, and it meant so much that they traveled so far just to support me. Adults always told me that time flies, but I didn't realize how fast it passed until I was walking across the stage, shaking the dean's hand, and receiving my diploma. I always pictured college as an intense academic time period where working towards a degree was the only focus and goal.  I'm not underscoring school or classes, which were exceedingly challenging, demanding, and important, but I learned that college gives you so much more than just a diploma. Over the past four years, I can say without a doubt that what made college unforgettable were the lifelong friendships, organizations, sport's clubs, and Bible studies that grew and developed me personally and spiritually. I learned about who I am and who the Lord desires me to be. I have developed new beliefs, passions, dreams, and convictions as I experienced different joys and trials. As I have grown older, I have noticed my focus narrowing onto the thing that brings meaning, value, and purpose to my life - Jesus Christ. I have learned to hear His voice and follow His leading in my life. I have learned to wait patiently and trust unswervingly despite what my flesh tells me. Numerous times over the past four years I have doubted the Lord's sovereignty in my life and tried to steer my life where I thought was best. The Lord continually showed me that what He has in store for my life is so much better than what I could create or fathom. He is so sweet and faithful and showers blessings on my life that I do not deserve. He provided the best roommates - a Godly group of Christian girls who have steered me closer to the Lord.
SO WHAT NEXT??? The commonly believed misconception that life ends after college is in fact false, although life does change drastically after college. Luckily for me, I have another year of graduate school, which will help me slowly transition from college into the "real world." My current summer schedule consists of the following (with a few weddings and fun weekend trips in May!) -
  • Maymester graduate class: May 14th - June 8th
  • COSTA RICA - Lightforce International internship: June 13th - August 15th
  • Begin 2nd year of Occupational Therapy Graduate School: August 27th
James Madison University '12
Tossing our caps!
  Chase your dreams...
Bachelor's of Science in Health Sciences

 WE DID IT!



 GRADUATED!
Couldn't have done it without their support and unconditional love 
Best siblings a girl could ask for!

 Papa Joe
Grandma Joe 
Aunt Dabney and Chloe 
Uncle Danny and Aunt Gina 
Cousin Gracie 
My wonderful roommates, my support system!

No comments:

Post a Comment