Monday, June 25, 2012

He who is in me is GREATER than he who is in the world

It's been almost two weeks that I have been living in San Jose now. I wish the time would slow down because I only have 7 more weeks! Two interns and now good friends, Jessica and Jamisen, left today to head back into the states. It was so sad to have two from the team leave. It is amazing how quickly you can form bonds with other like minded girls. I feel like we are all family now, and I am going to miss their fun personalities, passion to serve the Lord, and our Costa Rican adventures!

This week we continued to plan for Casa Agape changes and create a budget for the project. We ventured out into Guadelupe and found a wood warehouse where we can get supplies to build furniture...definitely got some looks walking into a construction warehouse as a girl! We were able to go to the National Theater as a team on Tuesday morning to hear a local orchestra play, which was a fun outing. We also ventured out into Heredia to visit Cafe Brit, a huge coffee plantation, where some of the girls wanted to buy Costa Rican coffee before heading home. We rode the train which was fun, but the way back we took the bus home and all got carsick - please pray that our stomachs get accustomed to the driving/transportation here. We also had English lessons with some of the women from the street, and had one of the women over for the afternoon Thurs. She told us her whole history, which was hard to believe, and at times shocking to hear all that she had been through. Our time with this woman reminded me of how Jesus would sit and befriend tax collectors saying, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick....For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." (Matt. 9:12-13).

This past Friday we had the opportunity to lead the middle school service at the church we have been attending in Coronado. Ri and his family give us a ride to church every Sunday on their way through San Jose from Heredia. It is such a blessing to be able to spend time with these precious brothers and sisters in Christ. Everyone at church is family, and takes you in as if you are family as well. We spoke on the passage in Matthew 14:22, where Jesus walks on water and calls Peter out of the boat to join Him. Our message was about keeping your eyes on Jesus, regardless of the worldly distractions and "wind" and "waves" in your life that may cause you to lose trust in the power of Christ and His perfect plan for your life. It was so fun to be able to share our hearts with these young boys and girls, and our sweet friend, Alexa translated for us! We also had the opportunity to go to our friend Tono's surprise birthday party late that night and they taught us the salsa, merengue, and cumbia. We spent the night at one of the church family's house and spent the morning learning how to make gallo pinto, corn tortillas, and tortas. I feel like we have so many "familias" here away from home!

Saturday night we went back out to the streets, and God was definitely working in many hearts, and staff on YWAM and LightForce had good conversations and prayer with some of the men and women. We were so excited for church service with our street ministry Sunday night because many had committed to coming. We got home, debriefed, and prayed over the heart's of the men and women as well as our own. Around 12:30 I was getting ready to go to bed, when one of my roommates, Cara, asked me to come smell her room because it smelt like something was burning. I went in and it smelt like gasoline to me, so I decided to check out the back hallway/stairwell area to the staff's apartment and our downstairs office. As soon as I opened the door, I saw smoke coming up quickly from the downstairs apartment. I knew something was on fire. Laura, one of the staff members, and I ran downstairs. She opened the door and smoke billowed out. We ran in and immediately I knew this was a big fire. I could barely see/breathe and there was just redness coming from the kitchen. The entire stove was consumed in flames, and it was way too large to put out. I ran upstairs yelling for everyone that there was a fire and we needed to get out. I had no idea where the fire extinguisher was, but we finally found one outside in the front hall. I tried 4 different keys on the lock but none of them worked, so Jamisen broke the glass with her umbrella, and Sarah grabbed it to take to Laura. We grabbed our passports and yelled throughout the apartment that there was a fire and everyone needed to get out. One of the guys from upstairs came down with his fire extinguisher (which he broke open with the back of his arm and was bleeding). He was able to get the fire under control and put out before it spread out of the kitchen into the other rooms. About 7 police cars and one fire truck showed up about 15 min. later...gotta love the safety systems in other countries! They said that it was an electric fire and that's why it spread so quickly, but the electrician came out today and said it couldn't be electric or else the breaker would have shut off...so we don't know how the fire started.

Unfortunately, the whole kitchen is damaged, as well as all the walls and ceilings in the whole apartment. We are washing/bleaching all dishes, curtains, and fabrics, washing walls and ceilings, repainting the apartment, and getting new appliances for the kitchen. We know that this is an attack from Satan, and Laura made a wonderful point - LightForce is treading on enemy ground, and the Lord is working in the hearts of many men and women, and that is threatening to the enemy. It is a compliment that we are being attacked, because it means the Lord is making progress. As Paul says, "For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him." (Phil. 1:29) Peter said, "However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name." YWAM blessed us and came over on Sunday to help clean, and we had a time of prayer and praise, because we know that the Lord works all things together for the good of those to love him, and we will count it all joy when we face trials. "You intended to harm me, but God intended if for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives." (Genesis 50:2). My mom shared with me this verse, and we can rejoice and be glad because "the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world." (1 John 4:4).

I thank you all again for your support and prayers, which keeps my team and I encouraged and surrounded by the Lord's protection. I would just ask for prayer this week for discernment and strength in the cleaning and repair that has to be done, and that we can get this done so we can continue to minister and do the work of the Lord here in San Jose. Also, the Lord is working in my heart and answering many of my personal prayers as well. He is faithful, and I will keep my eyes on Him, because He will keep me from sinking despite any wind, rain, and waves that may come. Love you all!
team outing to el teatro nacional

Cafe Brit

"the jungle"


my home - San Jose

dancing the night away

salsa

mis amigos

corn tortillas

learning how to cook

Costa Rican breakfast
familia

la mejor cocinera
caught in a downpour

beautiful Alexa

crazy friends

church family

Marcela y yo

beautiful chicas

precious Jimena
Jamisen y Jason

fresh food market!



my apartment

front hallway

mi cuarto

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of the fire. I do think you are right, the enemy does not want people to experience the healing that Christ can bring. Jesus said he was a liar from the beginning, and when he lies, he is only speaking his native language. I will keep praying. Thanks for serving! (oh and this is Tom Manacapilli)

    ReplyDelete